Pages

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Summer Stuff

Since having a holiday with no work to do is non-existent at Uni (enjoy it while you can schoolies) we have been given some tasks to do over Summer.
  • Read 5 books in relation to Design Studies
  • Make 5 changes to your blog
  • Contact 5 people whom you are interested in speaking to
So, here are my lists;

Books
  1. Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005 - Phil Baines. (Suggested to me by a friend, although it is not a hugely word-based book (haha) it has apparently got some fantastic images and describes how they were created, showing how design has progressed in Penguin Books over the years which I think would be very interesting.)
  2. 100 Habits of Successful Graphic Designers - Josh Berger. (I may not be studying Graphics but I think it is important to learn about other areas of design as well as my own. Hopefully I will pick up some GOOD habits!)
  3. The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell.
  4. Snoop - Sam Gosling. (I know both The Tipping Point and Snoop were on or book list for last semester but I feel that if I were to read them again I may actually enjoy them... We'll see.)
  5. Visual Communication: From Theory to Practice - Johnathan Baldwin & Lucienne Roberts. (Thought I'd throw that in to win Brownie points ha ha. Oh, and it's had a few good reviews!) 

Blog
  1. Create a new background (far too many people have the same one as me).
  2. Make a drop down menu with separate tabs for Design Studies, studio work etc.
  3. Try and make a calender (I have seen a few calenders on people's blogs - find out how to get one).
  4. Write a slightly more informative 'About Me'.
  5. Get more followers!

People

  1. Jemma Sykes, Textiles Graduate, RCA. (I will probably try to connect to her via email. I would love to speak to her and find out how she has gone about creating such amazing designs and how she got herself noticed.)
  2. Joyce Young, Scottish Fashion Designer. (On her site you can contact her through email. I have actually met Joyce before, at a recent fashion show which I helped out at. I sadly didn't get enough time to speak to her properly, so I would like to get the opportunity to ask her some questions about her designs, how she began her business and ask if she could give me any advice.)
  3. Lauren Currie/RedJotter, DOJ Graduate. (I would contact her through Twitter. She recently lectured us on her business and how she made herself known by using Twitter. I would love to speak to her more in depth about her achievements.)
  4. 'Crystal Silver', creator of the shop 'Cissyface Vintage'. (Contact through email/facebook. I have mentioned Cissyface Vintage on my blog before and I am still in love with the products available. I think it's fantastic that this shop offers handmade, mostly recycled and totally unique accessories, so I am desperate to contact Crystal and ask her about her shop, where she got the idea for it and where she finds her recycled items!)
  5. Steve Lazarides, compiled the book 'Outsiders'. (I would try to contact him over Twitter as I am awaiting approval to be his follower. Steve has some fantastic contacts and has written some really inspirational pieces about some artists whom I respect greatly. I would like to ask him how it is that he has gone about contacting these artists and whether he dabbles in art himself.)

Better get started on them then...

      No comments:

      Post a Comment