Pages

Thursday 10 March 2011

Disney

This post was actually written out about two weeks ago but I managed to just save it to my drafts instead of posting it, whoops...

I'll be honest - this lecture didn't do it for me. Not because of its delivery (Hamid, don't take offence!) but because of what I have to admit seemed to be a certain irrelevance to absolutely anything we do in Design studies. I assumed that the lecture would be about the art of Disney, its darker side and all that rubbish, but instead it was mostly about the actual company, how it was created and how it runs today. I have to admit that all the way through the lecture I was thinking 'Why would I care?'. Now I'm sure someone will have some sort of clever response to this, it was relevant on 'another level' or something, but I'm sorry, I'm studying Textile Design, not Business.
Anyway, the lecture wasn't all bad, Hamid did have some interesting facts to tell us about the Disney franchise. For example, Disney actually created a town called 'Celebration' in Florida. This town is straight out of a Disney film. There are certain rules that its inhabitants have to abide by, such as not painting their house or parking their car in their drive way. Why? Because that's not 'Disney' enough. Everything has to be perfect. Perfect houses, perfect gardens, perfect streets, perfect people. Sounds terrifying if you ask me. However, if this sounds like your kind of place, here's a site which you can visit to rent a property in Celebration. Crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment