Pages

Monday 25 October 2010

The Tipping Point

When I was first told to read Malcolm Gladwell's 'The Tipping Point' I was immediately worried. At first impressions it sounded like the sort of book I would deliberately avoid - analytic books have never been a source of interest to me, however I found myself pleasantly surprised by this book. Gladwell basically talks about how easily people can be influenced and, of course, 'How little things can make a big difference".  Although there were some parts of the book which were completely lost on me (we'll not talk about those parts - I was told today by an irritated class mate "that's the easiest bit!!") I was particularly intrigued by the section of the book on smokers and their mentality.  Despite finding some of the points that Gladwell made slightly biased as he is clearly a non-smoker himself, I found myself agreeing with the majority. Then it occurred to me that this may be because I am also slightly biased, but maybe I was thinking too much into it. 

A definite recommendation to anyone who is interested in finding out about stereotypical groupings and how they occur, how and why addictions really come to pass and also how to keep your child well educated and out of the crime scene; Sesame Street (That may sound silly, it was my initial thought as well, but Gladwell really does make a very good point, and I now thank my mother for buying me all the Sesame Street video tapes). Also recommended to anyone who just wants a good read, and maybe to think a little.

Anyway, I made two mind maps, one on the book as a whole and another looking into the smoking section in more detail. I'll apologise for my messy handwriting in advance - calligraphy has never been my strong point - but hopefully it'll be legible enough.#




I have also made a bibliography concentrating on the smoking case study in this book. Since it was to be written in 'Harvard Style', I have spent a long time looking up this 'Harvard Style', and I'm pretty gutted to admit that I don't think I've got the hang of it even now, but I gave it my best shot and I hope the bibliography makes sense.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment